Why Is This Good For Me?
Gluten Free/ Dairy Free/ Processed Sugar Free
Nutritious Pancake Stack loaded with health benefiting ingredients! I have used a mixture of buckwheat flour, almond meal, flaxseed meal, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds. Buckwheat is a “seed” despite the name buck”wheat”, it contains no grain making it gluten free. Almond meal is also a great alternative to use in the kitchen instead of flour. Almond meal is rich in monounsaturated fats that can lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of blood clots and help lower blood pressure in the body. Flaxseed meal contains omega-3 fatty acids in the form of alpha linolenic acid, and is very high in fibre which is beneficial for heart health and digestion. Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds have anti-inflammatory benefits, are a good source of healthy fats, and have several important vitamins and minerals.
I also used a delicious raw apple sauce that is so easy to make. Green apples are full of fibre, dates are great for adding natural sweetness to foods, and have high levels of soluble fibres which is good for healthy bowel movements.
Ingredients for pancakes:
(makes about 6 medium pancakes)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 300ml almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon of gluten free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal
- Add all the dry ingredients to the bowl, then add apple cider vinegar, then the almond milk, and vanilla essence. Mix until well combined.
- Heat pan and add grease with coconut oil or oil of your choice, then with a large spoon scoop a spoonful of mixture on the the pan then lightly spread over with spoon.
- Let it cook until you start to see little bubbles rise up, then you know it’s time to flip.
- Continue with remaining mixture.
Ingredients for raw apple sauce:
- 2 green apples
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon apple sider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Chop up apples, remove seeds from dates.
- Add all ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth.
Layering and toppings:
- Add layers of the apple sauce to the pancakes and optional toppings such as raw almonds, currents, natural yogurt, and honey.